If you want certain views to be evaluated outside of Okera, you should mark them as an external view. This feature is useful when trying to create features that are currently unsupported, or specific to a given platform, like Lateral Views and Unions.
You can find more details about what External Views are here:External View.
- Since this view is executed outside of Okera, the user must have the prerequisite privileges on the underlying tables that make up the External View.
- These steps also assume you have a common HMS database being used by Okera enabled, and non-Okera enabled Hive/EMR clusters.
You can take the following simple steps to make use a lateral view as an external Okera view:
- Start up an EMR cluster without ODAS enabled.
- Use this non-Okera EMR cluster to create the lateral view.
- Using DbCli or the WebUI workspace, define this view as an external view as:
ALTER TABLE dev_cerebro_views.external_view_test SET TBLPROPERTIES('cerebro.external.view'='true');
- Start a Okera enabled EMR cluster, and use the view.